Sunday, January 17, 2010

Monday, my last full day at Big Bend, added to yesterday’s rewards. My goal was the Santa Elena Canyon, another place I have returned to several times. As you approach the canyon you find ocotillo, lechuguilla, blind prickly pear, honey mesquite, leatherstem, and hechita. The trail ascends to some spectacular viewpoints and then drops down to the river. The only plants I could identify there were River Cane and Catsclaw Mimosa, but the views along the river were inspiring.
On the way back to the Basin I stopped at Sotol View for some photos, and then at the Sam Nail Ranch, where I saw some cardinals, juncos and mockingbirds as I sat at the windmill, which pushed out a small amount of water with each up and down movement. I should have added another full day in the park, but who can plan to be sick, which cost me at least a half day’s worth of hikes and the half-day river trip I had planned.
The next morning, I decided to take the ranger-guided morning walk on desert medicinal plants at Dugout Wells. After checking out I drove slowly from the Basin to Dugout Wells where I met the ranger and five other people. She was knowledgeable enough but very western in her approach to how Native Peoples’ learned about medicinal plants and after enduring her condescending remarks for twenty minutes I left and began my leisurely exit from the park to Terlingua and then up to Alpine. I will try to get back to Big Bend when the birding is better, but my trip was worthwhile even with the obstacles I had to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment