Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The stay at the Microtel was pleasant and with O’Charley’s restaurant open throughout the storm, I had a decent place to eat. I took a number of walks from the motel and the one on Friday night, with almost no traffic and on the recently plowed road, was very peaceful. I felt safe since I was close the motel, and the flat road was comfortable. If I had stayed in the hollow I would have had trouble walking, and if I slipped and fell out there while trying to clear a path, who knows what the consequences could have been.
Mike was able to get the entire road done on Saturday afternoon, but since it was past checkout time, I stayed in Christiansburg, even driving to Rob Solomon’s house to watch the Virginia Tech game.
Driving home Sunday early afternoon offered no problems and being home felt terrific. The sun was out and my road was clear. Who could want more than that? I got on my tractor to clear a little more by the house, and settled back in for the Super Bowl, which turned out to be an exciting game, especially the New Orleans onside kick to start the second half.
On Monday morning the weather forecast brought winter back into focus. It was possible that the new snow would start at four in the morning, and that meant I might be snowed in if I went home. I decided to take my toiletries and some extra clothes and that way I could stay in town if things looked threatening. I was still uncertain of what to do after I finished teaching at five but after confirming with Justin Craig that we would be playing Friday night and talking to the Blacksburg National Weather Service forecaster, who told me the snow shouldn’t start until seven, I decided to drive home and just get up early. This way I could get my saxophone—which I should have brought with me—and spend the night at home, a pleasing prospect. The drive was tolerable, with the farm road in good shape and my road not at all slippery.
When I went to bed I set the alarm for six and figured that I could get out just as the snow was beginning. Somewhat restless I awoke at three, and thankfully there was no snow. I went back to sleep and woke again at five and the news was not so good. A heavy snow was falling, with an inch already on the ground. The Weather Service forecaster had failed me (although the original prediction was correct) and after calling the university and finding out that it wasn’t closed, I knew I had to get out of the hollow just in case things got very bad. Fortunately the drive to Christiansburg was uneventful, and six twenty found me in the Starbucks sipping a well deserved coffee. An automated call from Radford told me that the university would be opening at 9:30 so my plan was working. It would be an easy ride to Radford, and I would be there for all my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment