Thursday, August 5, 2010



my first swimming hole on the American


My visit to my friends went according to plan, long, catch up conversations, bike rides and hikes, and some terrific dining. I didn’t mind the city driving except once riding back to Fremont on I-880 at midnight. It was too fast and I was too tired.
I left on Monday morning and decided to take a scenic route up into the Sierras and that was a good decision. I rode along the American river and stopped twice to swim in the icy, turbulent waters. I passed the Carson river and that was also quite appealing and if I had had time I would have fished both rivers. However, I wanted to get to Las Vegas by Tuesday so that meant I had to make up some miles.
I crossed the Monitor pass and then headed south on California route 395, which quickly paralleled Mill creek, which was rocky and pretty fast, obviously fed from the snow fields in the High Sierras, but eminently fishable. Nonetheless, I wanted to get across to Nevada 95 before dark, so I didn’t stop but I hope I can get back and fish all three rivers some day.
The next morning I stopped to take a long bike ride near Tonopah, and then drove the rest of the way to Vegas. It has been tremendously hit by the recession but the in town traffic on I-15 didn’t hint toward any decline.
A couple of years ago I worked on a Fear manuscript (which tied my colon cancer with the economic disaster) and after talking to my friends Dave and Pat, I think the economic part of Fear may still be a viable topic. While Vegas and Nevada may be in exceptionally dire straits, many of the pundits are predicting a double dip recession nationally. I wish I could be more optimistic but people are scared and too many are out of work and we have an incredible deficit. I have given up on any thoughts of retiring early, and I will probably have to stay in my hollow for many years since I doubt I will be able to sell it for a decent price any time soon. But at least I have a secure job and a reasonable salary.

No comments:

Post a Comment