Monday, May 24, 2010

I drove up to the Peaks of Otter yesterday and the views were, as always, amazing. It always gives me great joy that so much of the forest remains. I took a few short walks to save my knee, and that paid off this morning when my knee was much better, less swollen and a lot less painful.
Yesterday I also took Jeff and Rachel out to dinner and continued our discussion about meditation. I do think that there are active meditations but I am not sure how meditative my activities are. Fly fishing and kayaking and nature walks perhaps, but golf isn’t meditative. I worry about making good shots and the score too much.
A deeper issue is the one of approach to life. Jeff, who is only a year younger than I, and Rachel are expecting, and they are both handling it very well. The baby will be coming soon and I absolutely think it is already making Jeff approach life in a much younger fashion. On the other hand, I am caught up in thinking about retirement and how long my knee will hold up and other aging concerns. I have no desire to have a child now, but when I played with Lucia, Kelly’s daughter, I felt much younger and playful. My problems were unimportant since the baby wanted to run around and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment