Saturday, May 1, 2010

My semester is almost over, with most of the papers graded in the Study of Poetry class and the movie question given in the 202s and the 203 (British and American Lit). I am excited about getting up to New York to finish the photos for the didymo article. A couple of fellows in DEC Region 4 have sent me some terrific shots, so I shouldn’t have much to do. I will see my friends Ken and Sandy on Friday afternoon, have dinner with them in the evening, and then I will be free for Saturday through Tuesday. I want to get up to Delhi and some of the other towns I am fond of and I may even make it to Vermont. I will bring my inflatable kayak and my bike so it should be a fun trip.
The greenhouse experiment is turning out well. Obviously there are limitations to how much you can grow in a six boxes, but I have eaten a few strawberries, some lettuce and a good bit of spinach. The peas should produce a lot but I am not sure of the tomatoes or the beans. I don’t know whether to leave the greenhouse door open while I am gone. That will assure pollination of the remaining plants but then I might come back to a small hornets’ nest and surely some wasp nests. Also, a cold snap would probably hurt the beans and the tomatoes.
I spotted a brilliantly colored scarlet tanager in the morning, and the parula is still around. A phoebe is nesting at one corner of the house, and a hooded warbler seems to be staying also.

No comments:

Post a Comment