Friday, July 13, 2012

The next day I drove on and my GPS stopped working so when I saw the sign for the Holiday Lodge golf course, four miles away, I decided to stop. I got the number from a truck stop and called and they were open and not crowded. When I got there I was surprised that the course was quite challenging and the greens in excellent shape. I shot a 47 and would love to play again. I took my cornfield bike ride about a mile off I-90 and it was quiet and I liked the whispering of the corn. I drove on and on and stopped at a KOA near Rochester, MN and after a swim, I went into town to have a salmon dinner at the Whiskey Creek Bar and Grille.
The next day I got off pretty early and I did another bike ride in the cornfields and stopped to do some writing at McDonalds so I had internet access. I ended up reaching Mitchell in the early afternoon and checked in at a Motel 6 (the Choice motels were too expensive) and went to Cabelas to buy socks. I then walked around downtown Mitchell and went in the Corn Palace and I can’t say I was at all impressed. Dinner at Chef Louie’s followed and the barbequed ribs were first rate.
I didn’t sleep well but eventually, with one of the OTC sleeping pills I got to sleep and didn’t wake until 9:15. I knew I wanted to have a place for the night near the Badlands and the only room in the park was 135 and the Econolodge was 90 so I made a reservation at the Sleepy Hollow campground in Wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment