Wednesday, July 11, 2012

When I awoke on Monday, the weather was more promising so I decided to stop in Louisville. I wanted to find the hotel by the river and I did: it was the Galt House and the river was the Ohio. I walked all over downtown, took the free trolley up 4th street and enjoyed the architecture and the shops, especially the open air theater on 4th.
My next stop was a golf course, and since it was crowded ahead but not behind, I decided to play two balls, figuring I could get nine holes in quickly and leave if I got frustrated with the slow pace. It was a good plan but after nine holes I had a 41 and realized that if I played all 18, I could break 90 for the third time this year. The second part of the front 9 was harder, ending with a 459 yard par 5, but I played very well and shot a 47 on it, thus ending with an 88.
I drove on and decided to drive into Indianapolis for dinner. I set my GPS for the Capital Grille but after I walked around the downtown area, rather impressed with it especially the huge Civil War memorial tower and fountain, I checked for a P.F. Chang’s and there was one a couple blocks away. I had steamed shrimp dumplings, hot and sour soup and special ordered broccoli with just a little beef. It was as good as ever and as I was driving ready to stay at a campground, Rob called and he was upset with a horrid e-mail from Fay. He wanted me to read it and to talk so I decided to stop at a Comfort Inn in Hebron, where I was able to read the e-mail and chat with him for a long time. She still can affect him with her hateful and completely unjustified accusations. I did go for a swim in the outside pool and that was exactly what I needed.
The next day was planned for Chicago and I did follow my plan, parking at Tinley Park and taking the local train into Chicago. I got into the Lasalle Street Station and began walking toward Union Station along State Street. When I got to Union Station I took the water taxi to Navy Pier, had lunch at Capri’s, then walked along the pier before deciding on a trip on the Tall Ship Windy. It was quite pleasant and the Chicago skyline always rewards. After that I went and found a Starbucks for a very needed coffee and then decided to head back to my truck so I could drive a little more in the evening and it worked out well as I reached Rockford, Illinois where I stopped at a Sleep Inn when I couldn’t find a campground with my GPS. It was fairly inexpensive and I liked the cool air.

No comments:

Post a Comment