Monday, August 8, 2011

The Eldred was a disappointment and the drive up there—thirty five miles of logging road, with the last ten full of big potholes—was no joke, particularly in a Chevy Traverse without 4WD. I had to drive real slow the last ten miles but finally I got to an accessible spot after having to turn around at a big dip in the road. I fished a very impressive spot but nothing really happened. I started with a rooster tail, then a rapala, then a big bass rig and nothing. I finally got a few hits on a big stonefly and then I caught three cutthroats with a small nymph. Not what I expected. I did see two more bears but I think my days at Freda and the Eldred are probably over. Too difficult and not very good fishing for my limitations.
The next day I got up, had coffee at Starbucks then packed and decided to get the 9:25 ferry and spend more time in Sechelt. It was a good plan because the 9:25 filled, and the 11:40 would have been iffy. The ride was very beautiful. Just after I got off at Earls Cove, I stopped to play golf at a spectacularly hilly course with a father and son from the Netherlands. They were fun and despite an 8, 8 start, I ended up posting the best score (55) and we all had a drink together. I then needed a nap and after that I had a late lunch at Daphne’s in Sechelt, then went for a swim and a walk at Davis Bay. I got to the ferry about an hour ahead and fortunately my reservation allowed me to get on the 6:55 boat and many people in the non-reserved line didn’t get on. It was a very scenic voyage, and when I got off I decided to try for the border since my GPS was now working and the border wait time at I-5 was supposed to be 10 minutes. I got there just before dark and it took almost an hour to get through. Fortunately I made a reservation at the nearby Anchor Inn and got there a little after ten. I ordered a domino’s pizza and watched TV until 11.
Monday morning, after Kripalu and yoga, I drove to Seattle and rented a bike at Recycled Cycles and had a very scenic and fun 6 mile ride. I drove through the cascades and saw a golf course so I figured why not, and after opening with an 8 and shooting a 7 on hole 4, I played very well and ended up with a 48. I drove to Ellensburg but Lisa Norris was out of town, so I had dinner at the Valley Café after doing my laundry. I checked in to the Quality Inn (free room night with my points) and then walked around the very decent campus of Central Washington University. Tomorrow Spokane and the day after Coeur D’Alene.

No comments:

Post a Comment