Saturday, August 6, 2011

I woke up pretty wiped out so I decided to take it pretty easy today. I did my Kripalu stuff, my yoga and then drove out to Comox lake to see if I could find some of the rivers and streams on the other side of it. When I got there I found that the road was closed due to logging, but I could fish the river below the dam. There was a hefty release going on, but I walked down about 400 yards and found a decent spot to cast my spinning reel but had no hits. I was not too interested in going swimming (though there were several people in the water) so I drove back to town to take a nap. When I awoke I decided to play golf and called the Crown Isle golf course and they said I could come after 5 and it would cost me 60 bucks. It sounded okay but when I got there the snotty worker said it would cost 82 and that was just too much. I drove over the Glacier Greens and although the guy said he was going to charge me 60, he only charged 45 and it was a fun course. Because I was behind some real slowbos, I played two balls and did very well. I mistakenly thought I had a chance to break 90 (after I had a 45 for 4 and ½ holes, so I kept playing two balls through hole 8 and I realized I would only break 100, so I quit then, but well satisfied with my play. The proprietor suggested Billy’s tavern in town for dinner and it was very good for bar food. I went back to the room, dropped off for a half hour and then went to see Cowboys and Aliens, which I enjoyed quite a bit.
In the morning I did my Kripalu stuff and my yoga and then loaded the SUV and headed to the Ferry to Powell River. I was there in plenty of time, and the ride over was uneventful. When I got off I wanted to camp right away but the first place I stopped at had a decent room for 65 dollars so I figured I would just stay there for my two nights. I napped, drove into town for lunch, then went back to the room so I wouldn’t get on the logging road until after 3:30. That worked and I saw no logging trucks but I did get lost briefly twice but eventually I got on the Freda Creek road and drove just past mile marker 20. I was just crossing the bridge when I looked over and saw a black bear trying to cross the swollen stream. I took several pictures and finally got the bear to look up at me and once he did he took off up the hill. I parked, very excited to be the only one here, and got into my gear without rushing. I went upstream toward the bear for a couple of pools but then it would have been very hard to wade up further so I worked downstream and had a lot of fun, catching 12 cutthroats, mostly 6 inches long but with a couple of 8 inch fish. I worked down about 150 yards and I know the fishing would have been better if I could have gone down a few hundred more yards. My knee wasn’t too bad at all so I should be able to fish the Eldred tomorrow, a least a hundred yards or so. I drove back slowly since I didn’t want to ruin a tire, and had a decent meal at the Eagle’s Landing bistro. Following that I drove to Tim Horton’s for my first cup of coffee and a couple of cake donuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment