Thursday, March 15, 2018

Trip Anxiety

Wednesday went pretty well.  I did as much of my knee exercises as I could (my knees are feeling better, did my scales and jazz songs on the piano, did more planning about my trip, and eventually drove to campus.   I met one of my advisees and worked a little more on my trip planning until it was time to give the midterm.  I thought I had everything figured out but a number of students did the test in pencil and those tests were hard to read.  I also had a few students who didn’t write enough (they were supposed to write at least 4 and ½ sides).  Still, even though I let a couple of them stay till 6:40, I was able to get home before dark now with daylight savings in effect.  The trip planning is my biggest problem, especially the economics.  I certainly have the money if all my financial planning works out.  Finding out that TIAA-CREF only guarantees 2 and ½ percent of their 4 percent pay out really shocked me.  The fellow I spoke with, Ruben, did say that in the past ten years they have paid out the 4 percent figure each year.  I things that trouble me are that I am not sure how long I can teach (if I actually taught 4 semesters, counting this one), I would have a little extra to work with.  It looks like I will be able to finish teaching this semester and in the fall, but it is hard to say from there (I do have 2 more semesters of sick leave and that would get me the 4 semesters.   My trip will cost about 4k, and I worry about the cost but I also think that getting away for almost three weeks will be very good for my psyche.  I really hope to do this trip, especially since I am still working full time and I certainly don’t know if I will be able to travel next year.  It is very confusing and I woke about 3:15 somewhat anxious and took half a valium and I hope to go back to bed in a few minutes.         

No comments:

Post a Comment