Saturday, June 5, 2010

I have basically finished cleaning out under the crawl space (more like a very short basement) and I got almost all the junk out. However, I hurt my knee pretty bad so now I am limping a bit. I wanted to play golf yesterday afternoon but I had to rest.
I also cut the grass yesterday morning and ate some beans and lettuce from the greenhouse. I am definitely going to plant a fall crop when I return in late August.
My performance at Gillies last night was quite good, though I fumbled a little on the first two songs, both of which I have played hundreds of times. After that I was fine and we got a lot of applause from the audience. Justin even got some claps for one of his long solos.
I straightened up the house this morning, and I will be heading to the orchard to fertilize the trees and finish the grass cutting inside the orchard. I will eat the rest of the cherries and seed the hole I filled. I can’t do much more because of my knee.
Tomorrow I leave for the Virginia shore and my visit to Ken and Sandy. I am ready to get out of town for a few days.
Here is the first of the poems I hope to finish this summer:

I am addicted
To the sun.
On a hill near my log house
Sit twenty solar panels
That shoot the current in
To boot up my computer,
make my radio boom Lady Gaga or Coltrane,
send my washer turning or my dryer spinning.
Each time I switch an appliance on,
I picture the Deep Water Horizon
And the millions of gallons of thick dark
Oil that is now invading the Louisiana Coast,
fouling the marshes rich with egret and oyster.

I have had solar for over a dozen years,
First two panels for my tiny cabin,
Then sixteen and then twenty for the house.
The eight batteries store the sunshine,
Like some celestial liquor,
Their strong red plastic frames filled
with sheets of lead and bubbling acid.
I am at their service,
checking the acid level once a month,
and equalizing them every couple,
burning gallons of gasoline that might come
from other gulf wells.

Still, sometimes I sit out on the porch
And savor those dark panels fringed in aluminum,
Better than a smart bomb or a nuclear reactor,
But still manufactured, still at a cost
To yellow poplar and white pine,
Scarlet tanager and wood thrush.

No comments:

Post a Comment