Thursday, May 24, 2018

Finally some good news


Sunday proved to be a productive day.  After the train derailment on Saturday, my odnly chance to get up to UVa was to drive myself up and that trip, almost 150 miles, went rather well.  I left at around 6:10 and I was at the Emergency room entrance just after 9.  I checked in and was put right in an ER room and was tested some by the doctors and nurses for my nerve sensitivity.  My feet weren’t very sensitive but the rest of me was sensitive enough.  Later I was taken up to the MRI screening area and they screened every part of my spinal column and my brain, with and without contrast.  It took a couple of hours and with the help of the zanex they gave me, I was pretty comfortable even though my nose was less than an inch from the top of the MRI machine.  After that I went back to my ER room and at around 7 I was transferred to a room in the Neurology Department, and finally got dinner around 8:30 and it was pretty good, a chicken Caesar salad and curried chicken wrap.  Then it was more reading of Montana 1948, which I finished and very much enjoyed and watching some of the Warriors / Rockets non-game, with the Warriors running away with the game.

Monday went pretty well.  I had a lot of private time and I ended up getting another half hour of MRI and then the dreaded EMG (with the shocking and the needles).  I was most scared of the needles but they didn’t really hurt that much.  Very weird.  The doctor pushed them in and asked you to relax the muscle and the noise would slow down, then when you tensed your muscle, it would speed up.  She only did three of them.  I got to know Elisabeth better during Monday and I really liked her.  I watched the Cavs tie the series and read some of Madame Bovary.  Great book. 

Tuesday was full of blood work in the morning, then a neurologist came to see me and then said they were releasing me and that the cause of my leg weakness and shaking was that I had a toxic level of prograf and that they had taken me off it yesterday.  I almost hugged the doctor and he was pretty sure I would be in good shape in two weeks.  Elisabeth accompanied me down and bought me coffee and I am definitely going to get her a present.  I am also going to send something to the unit.   I left a little after 3 and then took a nap, then drove on through the rain to get to Bburg before dark and treat myself to a half rack of ribs dinner at Bull and Bones.  I contacted all my friends to give them the news.

Wednesday was okay but I was pretty tired (I may not have taken my prednisone).  I haven’t rescheduled my appointment with Dr. Trivedi yet but maybe next week.  I did do 20 minutes of biking and my knee exercises.   I also went to play golf and I was exhausted but I shot very well in the low 40s.  I am trying to set up the visit to my sister and that should be done tomorrow.  I watched some of the Cavs / Celtics game and the Celtics outplayed the Cavs.       

No comments:

Post a Comment