Tuesday, June 14, 2011



On Thursday afternoon, I decided to keep driving toward the clear weather and by the time I got to Livingston Manor, it was sunny with storm clouds way to the east. I stopped at a pull out just before the state fishing access and I immediately got a hit from a small chub on a royal wulff. I hadn’t fly fished in a while, but my technique hasn’t suffered. I was putting the fly where I wanted it but I go no fish until I had waded up two hundred yards and was fishing a stretch just below a long rapid. I had several hits and I caught a nine-inch and a twelve inch brown. I got pretty excited and said this was fun. I drove on to Roscoe and found the Roscoe campground to be a decent place and after a bike ride I went off to dinner at an Italian place in Roscoe. The Mavs outplayed the Heat and now it could all be over Sunday. Lebron was a dud again particularly at the end when they needed him.
On Friday morning I woke early and decided to head up to Lew Beach and then over to the Pepacton reservoir. It was pretty and the east branch near Margaretville looked very nice. I practiced my sax for the first time in a week or so, and that felt good.
I was at Onteora Lake a few minutes early and when Carole and Dylan got there, I wasn’t sure if the photo shoot was going to come off. She was very aggressive and condescending and I thought she might call the whole thing off. However, things calmed down and once I got into helping Dylan catch a fish things were fine. His rod was much too short for jigging off the platform so I set up my spinning reel and Dylan caught one fish with the help of nearby fisherman Roy Kenyon. Even so I realized that we would do much better at Pine Hill Lake (which I had photographed quickly in the morning) so I convinced them to head for Pine Hill. Dylan couldn’t make it to the end of the pier but he was still able to cast far out and he caught perhaps fifteen bluegills and two bullheads. I baited his hook and took the fish off for the most part and both Carole and I got some good photos. We all left in good spirits. I wanted to play golf so I stopped at the lazy swan country club (very nice) and shot a 50 with a birdie on the last par 3. I drove up to Bennington and walked around for an hour before heading off for a campground a few miles east of Bennington.

Saturday’s weather was again a concern, and I spent most of the day driving around in the rain. I did fish under a bridge when the rain stopped momentarily but though it seemed like a good spot, I had no hits on dries, nymphs and wooly buggers. When the rain began again I stayed under the bridge and that was fine. I got a room at the Comfort Inn in Rutland, and I decided to go to the movies, catching Super 8, which was very entertaining.
It was not raining when I woke up so I headed to the nearest stream and started fishing. It was a lovely stretch of water but very rocky and I had to move extremely slowly. I went about 75 years and didn’t get a hit so I gave up. The weather was still grim so I decided to head toward Bar Harbor. I stopped to fish again and foul hooked a tiny trout and later broke my rod trying to get my Royal Wulff out of a branch. Fortunately, I have my 2 weight with me and I can use that in most cases. The rain returned and I finally stopped in Gorham, New Hampshire, getting a decent room at the Town and Country motel and then watching the Heat lose to the Mavs at a local pizza/sports bar. Lebron was a great disappointment.
When I woke up I was going to take it easy and slowly make my way to Bar Harbor, but when I checked the weather, the report now said that Tuesday and Wednesday were going to suck with rain all day. I had done a wash and I was getting the oil changed when I decided to head for Ogunquit beach, much closer than Bar Harbor and the weather there was supposed to be okay until the evening. I called Kripalu and they let me change my reservation from Sunday to Tuesday and stay just three days and that makes a lot more sense considering the weather. I drove straight through and walking the Marginal Way again was rather splendid. A very captivating sight as the ocean waves broke on the sharp rocks. After that, the weather looked threatening but I decided to play golf and I played nine at Cape Neddick Country Club, a bit pricey but a lovely course. I shot a 47 and was quite pleased. After that I went for a lobster dinner at the Fox restaurant and then took a nap before walking along the sidewalk overlooking Wells beach. I decided to drive for an hour and made it just past Lowell where I stopped at the minuteman campground and got in a good bike ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment