Tuesday, January 16, 2018

First day of teaching in 13 months

Tuesday was a very important day: the first day of my return to teaching. I did my knee exercises in the morning and then played some piano after I got ready to head into Radford.  I stopped at Kibbles on Main to get Hank some peanut butter biscuits and then got to my office just before 1.  I saw a number of colleagues and got everything ready for class.  Then the moment came.  I went down to the third floor and started teaching for the first time in over 13 months.  It meant I could still teach and that I was still a part of the department.  I had a little trouble seeing the students as I went over the rules and outline but I think I did a very adequate job.  I only have 9 students in one class and 15 in the other so I think this won’t be an overwhelming semester, and the fall, with only three courses, should also be okay.  If I can get through these two semesters and the following one with 4 courses, I will almost be where I need to be, at that point with only two more semesters to go before I retire.  After teaching, and I hadn’t had a nap all day, I rode my bicycle for 40 minutes along the river and then drove home for a long nap before waking at 6:30.  I tried to call Cathy and left a message and talked with Dave for a few minutes, then sang Sunday’s new songs and then headed out to Olive Garden where I had an excellent dinner of salmon piocata using the gift card the gallos had gotten me.  I then drove to the VT library and walked for 30 minutes before heading back to my apartment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment