Saturday, June 16, 2018

First Half of my Visit to Roberta


Tuesday I did my knee exercises then packed up the truck and started my drive to Cary.  It was pretty easy until I got to 40 and then the traffic was quite heavy.  I really had to concentrate but I eventually got to Chapel Hill around 1:30.  I parked at the visitor’s center and walked all around the area down to Wilson Library.  The trees were simply marvelous and I enjoyed them immensely.   I had a late lunch at a cheap Chinese place and it was tolerable.  Then I napped and headed to Cary around 6:15 and only ran into a bit of traffic near the Cary exit.  I stopped in a mall that had a Bass Pro Shops store and looked at the fishing boats.  It would be fun to run one of them but those days are over for me.  Then I had a salad at a Tropical Smoothie Café and then headed to the train station which had ample parking and I napped again.  The train was a half hour late but by 10 I was in my sleeper.

Wednesday started with a cold room on the train and sleeping was hard but eventually I caught a little sleep as I turned off more of the vents.  I took several naps during the mid-morning and later and the train was an hour and a half late so I got into West Palm at around 6.  Roberta was waiting and we got back in time to play 8 holes of golf.  The clubs Roberta got me were pretty bad, with no sand wedge or lob wedge but I was able to use the 7 iron pretty well and on a short course that worked out okay.  I was really reduced to a 7,9, pitching and putter so some shots were very challenging.   The evening went well and we chatted pretty late and then I watched some TV until 12.
Thursday went fine, knee exercises in the morning, kayaking off Jupiter Island and playing with 3 cute kids, letting them use our kayaks to jump off of and paddle around, having a nice chat with the oldest girl, Abby, who was very smart and ambitious and eventually gave me a shell as a present.  Then it was off to a nearby restaurant where I had an okay crab cake with a nice salad and a lobster roll loaded with southern lobster meat.  Again, some good chatting and then bed time at 12.
Friday was also pretty good.  We played golf early, then had lunch and I went over to holes 13 and 14 and fished.  I got several bites but the fish were very small so I didn’t catch any but I enjoyed myself.  Later the weather got pretty bad so we didn’t kayak but instead went to Hobe Sound Beach and had a pleasant walk along the shore.  Back at Roberta’s townhouse, I tried the elliptical and it worked fine.  It got my breathing up and that was the key.   We had a very good chat about our situations (mine being not very good, with all the drugs I’m taking and my hearing problem in my right ear, and the physical decay that has made it much harder to do things and my lack of energy.  Roberta is doing very well considering she is 70, and I wish her well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment