Wednesday, August 19, 2015


I was going to drive north and connect with 95 once I crossed the border but my GPS, finally working, told me that taking 1 through St. John’s made more sense and it did. I fumbled my way downtown and ended up right by the water at the place where they do concerts. The only problem was that it was pretty foggy but that really didn’t bother me. I found the bike path which I had ridden on before and had a lovely long ride with the sun clearing things somewhat. After that I decided to head for the border and though I was tired I wanted to make it before I napped. The border crossing was easy and I bought some wild blueberries which were quite good. It was time for a nap and then I was hoping to find a golf course but I didn’t until I was less than 25 miles from bangor. Sawmill woods was advertised as a 9 hole par 36 course and thought I was a bit skeptical, it turned out to be a fine course, most holes from the red being about 300 yards and some quite tight. I played rather well and shot a 48, marred by one eight on a hole that my long putt took a remarkable bounce the wrong way and ended up 30 feet away, which I proceeded to three putt. I found a campground about 6 miles from bangor, checked and then drove into town for my second bike ride on the Eastern Maine Community College campus. It did have a residence hall which somewhat surprised me. After my ride I found a shady spot and did my weights and yoga, then headed to the nearby movie theater where I found out that “The Man from UNCLE” was playing at 7:30 which gave me time to head for an appetizer at Chili’s, watch the final 5 holes of the pga championship and do my lumosity training. I was a little bit worried about the mosquitos when I got back to the campsite but they were not a problem and I slept well, waking around 6:00 wanting to get going right away since I knew I had 450 miles to drive. Getting going at 6:30 always make the day easier and I had almost two hundred miles before I stopped for a nap and then my first ride, a 50 minute push at Merrimack College, a Christian school with a very nice campus. After that it was time to drive again and I must say that since I left Bangor, traffic was pretty heavy and even heavier as I got close to the beaches. I had to be very focused since people cut right in front of me and everyone was going too fast. But I drove safely, wasting a half hour in traffic because of a big accident, and finally stopped again at exit 32, Queen Street south of Harford, a favored pit stop in the past. I ate a light meal (no carbs) and then took another nap and then it was the second bike ride, this time just over 35 minutes. Traffic had eased up and at almost 7 I headed out with a plan to get to the KOA in Newberg. However, as I neared the Taconic I pulled off and found a nearby state park that charged 15 (it turned out to be 22) which was almost 30 dollars less than the KOA. I got there at late dusk and just as the dark took hold, I reached Cold Spring and the American Grill where I had a fine sashimi tuna salad. I am glad I am going to have an extra day by myself in NYC. I love to walk around by myself, wandering wherever (although I often walk from the SI Ferry up to the Freedom Tower, around Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Little Italy, across the Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park and Times Square). I woke up to the big push to Staten Island. The drive was intense but not too difficult and I even improvised a bit on the way down, moving from the Taconic to my favored Saw Mill and then over to 87 before the Cross County. There was a few minutes traffic getting on the GW bridge but it wasn’t too long before I was getting off the Jersey turnpike and entering Staten Island. I went to ride my bike at Willowbrook park and then visited my parents’ grave. Now it was time to check in at the Hampton and then take a nap. I did my weights and yoga, and drove to the Ferry. It was very hot so walking up to the Freedom Tower was slow with several stops. After visiting the two memorial pools, I walked up through Tribeca and then over to the Barnes and Noble at Warren Street where I bought Under the Volcano. Now I took the train up to Central Park and rented a bike and rode around the whole park. I didn’t realize there was a big hill at the northern end and also a large swimming pool which looked very enticing. After that it was time to have dinner, this time at an excellent sushi place at 6 Columbus Circle. Now it was time to walk down to Times Square and I was pretty much done when I got there so I sat for a few minutes, took the 1 down to the ferry and got home by 10:30 for some TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment