Thursday, August 17, 2017

third day in Hethwood and things are going fine


Tuesday was moving day and the movers were a few minutes late.  What surprised me was the size of the truck, which was there biggest one, not the midsize one I expected.  It took some maneuvers, but we got it up to the back stairs and the three fellows moved very quickly.  They were done in less than two hours and we were at Hethwood around twelve.  Getting my keys was quick and the guys moved the stuff in very quickly.  By 1, everything was in and I had paid them the 365, plus 70 in tips so the final cost was much less than the 1000 I had budgeted for.  I took Claire out to lunch at Greens and we had some of their artisan sushi, which was very good.  We returned and Claire helped me set up some stuff and then I told her she could leave at around three.  I few very comfortable even though I got a message from David that he wanted to meet me at 2 out in the hollow and there was no way that was going to happen.  I texted him back and told him that if he had contacted me earlier I might have been able to adjust my schedule but since he never responded to my earlier text I had no idea what he was up to.  I asked him to send me my security deposit as soon as possible and reminded him that we had agreed that I didn’t have to clean the house because I was so sick (his exact words were that “you have done enough”).  After a nice nap I drove out to White Gate and caught three little red eyes from the bridge and then went for a bike ride at Tech.

Wednesday didn’t go that well.  I had to wait most of the day for Grand to call and tell me when they were going to deliver my couch and they didn’t call until late afternoon, telling me that the salesman had fouled up and that the couch was not going to be delivered today.  I told them they should give me a credit of some sort and they agreed.  My second concern was the installation of the cable and internet and that was supposed to happen between 1 and 3, but the technician didn’t get to my apartment until 4:30 (Comcast agreed to deduct 40 from my first bill), and the installation went okay but unfortunately the fellow at Best Buy had sold me a router instead of a modem so I had to use the Comcast modem temporarily.   However, the technician got things fixed up and I now have cable (with the ability to record) and internet for 118 a month.  After he finished I drove out to Best Buy to  return the router and as I was leaving the store with the modem, the fellow at the door told me I probably needed a modem/router so I called Comcast and they agreed so I had to return the modem and get the modem/router.  I drove to Tech and rode my bike on the road to the Smithfield Plantation and then up to the frat section for 45 minutes.  Then I was driving home when I ran into Mary Gorton and I ended up showing her my apartment and then going over and chatting with her till after 12.  I was really tired when I got back but I ate some chili she gave me and a cheese sandwich and went to bed around 1. 

Thursday was a good day.  I did my weights and yoga, reviewed Barron and read a little more of The Idiot.  I took a bike ride around the area and saw sheep, cows and horses so that was a treat and the views at points were pretty wide open.  My knee was a bit of a problem but I got my 45 minutes in and then I got home, rested a bit, then the couch guys came around 4 and I was able to drive out to go play golf (the par 5 got me again) and then make it to the Reading Group with time to spare.  It was last session on Barron and it was very lively.  Mike and Sue are going to do it again in the fall and I can’t wait.  I’m sure it will be very stimulating.  I also signed up for RCIA and I hope that will be interesting also.    



No comments:

Post a Comment