Wednesday, October 25, 2017

A return to Macados and to the Cinebowl

Tuesday was a pretty busy day.  I did my knee exercises, reading Augustine and the Book of Samuel, then I took the wet kayak out of the back of my truck and started drying it.  I did my 45 minute bike ride while it was drying and did some straightening out of the truck.  When the drying was done I folded up the kayak and put it back in the guest bedroom closet.  I then headed off to meet Heather Hodges at the Prices Fork apartments and after seeing the apartments, I decided to rent one of them with a washer/dryer outlet, around 750 square feet with the rent 850 a month, with electricity costs for heating and cooling and other uses about 125 a month.  Then it was off to play golf and I did okay shooting roughly a 51 for nine holes.  Following that I dropped off my application for the apartment and then drove to Blacksburg for a short walk with Rob on the Tom’s Creek trail.  I decided to treat myself to dinner and headed to Macados and saw Jake for the first time in months and saw pictures of his beautiful 20-month-old son.  I ate my Margie’s Cashew Chicken Salad and then decided to really treat myself and go to a movie for the first time in months, my choice being the new Blade Runner movie.  It was not a great movie—and it ran 2 hours and 44 minutes—but I enjoyed it a lot.  Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford are two of my favorite actors so that was a treat.   Finally, after an ice cream sandwich, I headed home and got to bed a little after 1.

Wednesday turned out to be a cold and blustery day (luckily I had dried out the kayak yesterday).  I did my knee exercises, read more Augustine and Samuel, the showered and headed over to have an early lunch with Claire Hall.  It was nice to see her and after lunch we took a short walk on the Tech campus.  After that I returned home, having mailed Dave a copy of my book, and took a short nap, really enjoying my warm covers.  A bit slow to wake up, I finally got going and went outside, dressed in my heavy winter coat and gloves, and rode my bike for 45 minutes.  When I got back I took another short nap and then did the rest of my piano playing, read some of Lou’s poems, gift wrapped the present for my kayak friend, did the dishes and did a wash, then made dinner and started watching the World Series.  I read the packet from Warm Hearth and it seems that any of their options are out of my class financially.  That depressed me, and I realized that I will have to be careful with my money the rest of my life.  I hope I like the apartment at Prices Fork.  I can certainly afford it but I still can’t spend much extra each month.  Then I think of people like Mary and I wonder how she really gets by.  Oh well, there is not much I can do about my financial situation except keep working for 5 more semesters and hope that I don’t end up in some awful nursing home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment