Friday, October 6, 2017

The Rest of the Trip

Tuesday  went very well.  I drove to Arches and spent a couple of hours in the park, taking a few pictures, two of which I sent Kate, and one short hike.  The park was a lot more crowded than I expected and I didn’t park at the Windows or at Devil’s Garden.  My favorite walk, at Park Avenue, was closed but it was still a very good visit.  I took a nap after I left the park, and then I drove on to Glenwood Springs, where I stopped just before it got dark to fish the Colorado at a ramp and I got several hits.  I got to the Quality Inn just before dark and I couldn’t nap so I watched the Yankee game and ordered salad and a small pizza from Dominos.  I didn’t feel like driving into town and that worked out fine.  I talked to Dave and he was really out of it and I think I have to talk to Danny about his drinking.  He certainly puts the vodka away, and he smokes weed constantly.  I did my knee exercises and my yoga just before I went to bed.

Wednesday was my final day of driving and it went very well.  I only had about 150 miles to go and I stopped several times to fish some very tempting if accessible spots.  I didn’t get any hits but I did see a small trout run after my spinner in one long pool.  Catching fish would be an added plus but just being out fishing on a Colorado stream is reward enough.  I wasn’t sure I could make this trip and it turned out very well.  I got into town around 2, checked in the car, then got a free ride from Lyft over to Union Station where I checked my bags and then rented a bike and drove over to the Platte for about 40 minutes.  I stopped for coffee and a coffee cake at the Starbucks at the kayak run and then rode back to the train station.  I took a short walk and then got my bags and decided to work on my blog.  We should be mercy boarding in less than an hour.  I boarded at around 7 and the train headed out around 7:30, only 15 minutes late.  Dinner was pleasant and I had the Land and Sea, a steak and crabcake combo which was pretty good.  I went to bed around 11:00.

Thursday started slow because I didn’t sleep well.  I was up at 5, then I dropped off to sleep for a few minutes and got up just as breakfast was starting at 6:30 so I had my breakfast then.  I came back and napped some and that made me feel a lot better.  Mary Gorton called and Carilion called so I will return the calls when reception returns.  I read a little of Mary Bland’s book on prayer but I feel really detached, still as much as an agnostic as ever, though I am praying some.  The kind of God I would like is one who loves me despite my faults and doesn’t expect too much from me, a gentle God of compassion and.  Not sure there is such a God.  I will be home tomorrow and I will begin my search again for a new place to live.  I am not looking forward to it but it has to be done and I will get to work as soon as I return.  I got on the train around 5:30 and it left at 5:45 so that was on time.  I read a little more in Mary Bland’s book and I hope that helps.  I had a fun email exchange with my kayak friend and I am expecting her to respond to my latest one.  It doesn’t look like Sunday will work out because of the expected rain.  I am less than 16 hours from home and I will be glad to get home to ride my bike and maybe play some golf with Mary Gorton. 


Friday began with breakfast at 6:30 after another restless night.  It took me a while to put towels under the upper bed to quiet its ceaseless noise but after I fixed it I was able to catch a few hours sleep.  After breakfast I awoke at 9:00, cleaned up some and then watched the view of the New River Gorge, always spectacular.  I am about 2 and ½ hours from Clifton Forge, with lunch coming up at 12:30.  The trip was a good one and the only problem driving came at two of the rotaries, where I had to make a quick move to get over to the right exit lane.  Other than that the driving was pretty easy, which bodes well for another trip at some point.  Money will be a factor but if I save some up, I should have the possibility of traveling next summer.  I have already planned a couple of winter trips, one to visit Gabes and one down to Charlotte.  This trip cost me about 3500 but I had paid for the train trip (1900) back in December before I got sick.  I got off the train around 2:15, an hour and a half late, and walked over to the police station and then drove back to Blacksburg, thus ending my first trip since December.  I napped, then rode my bike for forty minutes, watched some of the Yankee game, then did my knee exercises.  I texted Maddie, congratulating her on her A minus in her paper (she was very happy with the grade).  I will drive down on Wednesday to visit and then drive them to Radford on Thursday.  I hope to do my yoga and light weights later.

No comments:

Post a Comment